February 20, 2010

I want this Ed Davis back!

When I think of the Ed Davis I used to know and love (from last year) and if I had to imagine him injured and sitting on the bench, this is the image I had in my head. Not the disinterested player we have seen as of late. I see Mr. T in an f-ing suit. "First Name Mister, Middle Name Period, Last Name T." Pissed off and yelling at the opposing team: "Don't Gimme No Back Talk, Sucka." Last year this kid used to play without fear. (I mean fearless like the 10 year old kids who fly by you on their snowboards at 90 miles an hour as you mosey on down the slopes cutting back and forth as to not go too fast type of fearless.) He was dependable. He was intimidating. He was a beast. Well, this person no longer exists in Chapel Hill. Instead he has been replaced with images of the Tin Man. That's right. The man without a heart. What happened? Well, I'll tell you my theory.



Let's go back about 10 months. His stock was at an all time high. He had already won a National Championship. People were projecting him as a high first round pick. He decided to come back for another year. To make another go at it. (Analogous to doubling down at the blackjack table after just winning a shit ton of money, mind you). I mean, I'll be the first to tell you I was very happy that he decided to come back. I had visions of grander and sugar plum fairies dancing in my head. I remember the headline now: "Carolina Basketball, Rebuild or Reload?" I'm thinking, "Reeelooaad mutha f-er!!" Well then came the Charleston game. Ed was embarrassed. The team was embarrassed. Rather than dusting yourself off and getting back on your horse, Ed started thinking, I came back for this!?


(Now I want you to imagine the image of the wall street trader ripping up his order tickets because the company he just bet his kid's college savings on just tanked). Whoops! I'd be pissed too. Ed sees Lawson, Hansbrough, and Ellington with nice cars, nice suits, and beautiful women. He resents the team, his coaches, and the fans.

It pains me to see him out there on the court playing at half of his potential. I'll be the first to tell you that when he wasn't injured, this half-effort usually still resulted in a double-double, but this is exactly what frustrates me. I hate to see people who do not maximize their abilities. Sinful! I would rather have a team full of kids that play their butts off with half of Ed's talent than continue to watch the BS he has been selling us for most of his sophomore year. Recently, when I see him sitting on the bench in his suit nursing his injury, I want to say, " Ed, the game is this way" or "Ed the rest of the team is clapping, why aren't you?" I hate to say it, but if you wanted to go pro that bad, then go. There is someone else Roy can bring in that will "Play hard, play together, play smart, and play to win."

No comments:

Post a Comment